It’s October in Las Vegas, which means it’s about to be that time to put away the shorts and flip flops and begin to break out the pants and fleece jackets. Homes will slowly start to cool down, which means the thermostat will slowly start to climb in temperature. Everyone wants to stay cozy during the fall and winter, but no one wants the bill that comes with it. Here are some 10 easy steps to help keep that heating bill low and the coziness level high.
1. Lower your thermostat and water heater. You probably won’t notice if you turn them down a couple of degrees, especially when you aren’t at home.
2. Learn to love socks. If your feet are cold, your whole body will feel cold, so throw on a pair of socks during the cold seasons.
3. Explore outside. Check the exterior of your heating unit. Avoid stacking anything against the heat pump or draping anything over it.
4. Light a candle. Not necessarily for warmth, but for some quick checks. Hold the flame near windows, doors and light fixtures and look for smoke moving in a
5. Tap heat that’s there anyway. There are a lot of things you can do around the house that generate heat, such as a shower. Take a warm shower, and leave the door open so the steam can escape into the rest of the room.
6. Drink warm beverages. Just like keeping a glass of water near you, a cup of Hot Tea, Coffee, or Hot Chocolate can keep you warmer when you’re at home.
7. Don’t let heat escape unnecessarily. Keep your doors and windows shut when the heat is on.
8. Call for a checkup. Proper maintenance will help your heating unit run more efficiently. Electric and oil heaters should get professional attention at least once a year and gas heaters every other year.
9. Consider a programmable thermostat. They cost between $30 and $100, but that’s money you’ll get back in the long run after saving money on your bill. A programmable thermostat allows you to adjust the heat automatically as needed, such as when you’re not at home or you’re asleep.
10. Keep windows covered when it’s dark outside. This will help reduce heat loss and prevent cold air from coming in. Make sure to uncover the windows during the day to let the rays of the sun come in and add to the natural heating. horizontal direction, this lets you know there is an air leak. Consider adding some caulking or insulation material. If you ever have any questions about maintenance or scheduling a check up, you can always call us here at Rebel Refrigeration & Air Conditioning. (702-734-7750).